What is the Hicks SMART Program? The Science & Medicine Academic Research Training Program provides academically advanced High School Seniors who are interested in careers related to medicine, scientific research, and biomedical engineering opportunities to engage in intensive research with medical clinicians, researchers, and academic staff. The Biomedical Research Foundation (BRF) has provided funding and program coordination for SMART since its inception in 1997.
The program, which has been serving students for two decades, provides a yearlong research experience with investigators at LSU Health Shreveport for 10 to 12 academically advanced high school seniors who have a career interest in medicine, biomedical research, or biomedical engineering. More than 200 students have participated in the SMART program. Participating students have high success in venues such as the Junior Humanities and Science Symposium, the Siemens Science Competition, the national and international Intel Science Fair and Talent Search, and the bioGENEius national competitions. Most SMART alumni select careers in medicine or science.
- Completion of junior year of high school and currently preparing for senior year in Caddo, Bossier, or DeSoto parishes.
- High overall grade point average with A's and B's in all science classes.
- Suggested ACT score of 28 (composite or science area).
- Completed or currently enrolled in Biology, Chemistry and Physics or some other advanced science classes.
- Exemplary attendance and behavior (verified by school officials).
- Commitment to work in assigned laboratory full-time for 7 weeks during the summer before senior year and for 10 hours each week during the school year.
- Available transportation to/from LSU Health Shreveport during the summer months as well as school year.
All materials are due no later than 2/28/2021 at 4:00pm.
When should I apply for the Hicks SMART Program?
Students may apply beginning the last week in January of their junior year.
Whom should I contact for more information about the Hicks SMART Program?
Ask your senior counselor for a packet today or contact the SMART Program Coordinator:
Chemistry Teacher/ Caddo Parish High School
1601 Viking Drive
Shreveport, LA 71101