JSHS invites the participation of all high school students who have completed an original research investigation in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics. All students in grades 9-12, enrolled in public, private, or home schools within the area served by the JSHS regional symposium are eligible. Investigations reporting on experimental, field, observational, or applied research are eligible. While review or library research is a part of the research process, these investigations alone are not appropriate. (See Guidelines section for additional descriptive information.) Key research categories include: Life Science, Medicine and Health, Behavioral and Social Science, Environmental Science, Engineering, Physical Science and Mathematics/Computer Science.
Interested students and their teachers are encouraged to participate.
Participation involves the following:
- Complete online registration
→ Competitive Presenters Register (coming soon)
→ Observers, Teachers and Judges Register (coming soon)
- Submit a written report (e.g. abstract and paper) of the original research investigation for review by a regional panel of judges;
- Comply with regional and national rules/ policies that apply to the preparation of the written reports and the oral presentations;
- If selected, deliver a concise 12-minute oral presentation to the symposium.
The written and oral reports should present the results of original research carried out by the student. Students are encouraged to obtain assistance from teachers, mentors, parents, or other students. How can students best demonstrate original work? Through oral and written research presentations made at JSHS, students report on their unique, innovative, and creative contributions to the research problem and their approach to undertaking the investigation. Students must also demonstrate their understanding of the scientific principles underlying the research problem.
For information about the national competition, teachers may contact the JSHS national office.
- Eligibility Requirements, Regional and National Symposia (PDF)*
- Abstract Requirements (PDF)*
- Research Paper Requirements (PDF)*
- Oral Presentation Guidelines (PDF)*
- JSHS Judging Process (PDF)*
- JSHS Judging Criteria (PDF)*
- National JSHS-Program Fact Sheet and Guidelines for Students (PDF)*
- Article, How to write a research paper (Alaska JSHS) (This is a short article for organizing and preparing a research investigation and report) (PDF)*
- Article, Tips for oral presentations (Hawaii JSHS) (PDF)*
- Article, Review of types of research (i.e. observational, experimental) -- Pacific JSHS (PDF)*
- Brochure, Illinois JSHS (This is a comprehensive resource for organizing and preparing a research investigation and report; rules at pages 8-12 are applicable to the Illinois JSHS only) (PDF)*
- National Judge's Scoresheet (PDF)*