Student Complaint/Grievance Policy
All students in the School of Allied Health Professions at LSU Health Shreveport have the right to express a complaint/grievance on academic or non-academic issues. Students must provide evidence of error, miscalculation, omission, or other action negatively impacting the student. The purpose of the complaint/grievance process is to provide students with an opportunity for fair and objective consideration and review of their issue. Students are expected to follow established procedural guidelines for academic and/or non-academic complaints or issues.
Anonymity. Individuals wishing to remain anonymous can file a complaint in any manner, including by telephone or written communication however, electing to remain anonymous may limit the Institutions ability to correct the issue, collect evidence, or take effective action against individuals accused of violating policies.
Confidentiality. The School of Allied Health Professions has an obligation to maintain an environment free of Title IX offenses (include sex discrimination, sexual harassment, dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and retaliation, etc.), thus faculty/staff have mandatory reporting and response obligations and may not be able to honor a complainant’s request for confidentiality.
Please see below flow charts for appropriate protocol for filing an academic, non-academic, or Title IX complaint. These flow charts follow the recommended chain of command for filing grievances. If a basis exists for an academic or non-academic complaint beyond the Program Director, it is recommended that a student submit a complaint to the Assistant Dean via the online School of Allied Health Professions Student Complaint Form.
Academic & Non-Academic Complaints: Appointment of Grievance Committee
If a resolution cannot be reached by the faculty member, Program Director, or Assistant Dean, the Dean will review the appeal from all levels, and may take one of the following actions:
- Render a decision based on the written appeal and review of all documentation and investigation.
- Meet with all parties concerned, who may be accompanied by advisors if desired, and then reach a decision.
- Refer the appeal to an ad hoc grievance committee for its recommendation.
- If the Dean, chooses to convene an ad hoc grievance committee, the Dean will appoint a faculty chairperson and 5 members (2 faculty/3 students).
- The panel will conduct a hearing to review facts from the concerned parties. After deliberation, the committee will make its recommendation in writing to the Dean within 5 working days of the hearing.
- The Dean’s decision will be in writing. It will list the reasons supporting the decision.
Master of Public Health Student Complaints
The Master of Public Health is a joint degree program offered by LSU Shreveport and LSU Health Shreveport. MPH student complaints filed at LSU Health Shreveport will be shared, when applicable, with the appropriate parties at LSU Shreveport in compliance with the LSU Shreveport Complaint Procedure. Any complaints received that are relevant to LSU Health Shreveport faculty or processes will be handled according to LSU Health Shreveport policies.