Allied Health Education and Discovery (AHEAD)
Program Information 2020
Dates: June 15-19, 2020;
Location: LSU Health Shreveport – School of Allied Health Professions
Address: 1450 Claiborne Ave. Shreveport, LA 71103
Program description: AHEAD is a free, 5-day program for Louisiana high school students interested in exploring the health career programs offered at LSU Health Shreveport – School of Allied Health Professions. Participants will engage in full-day sessions that include hands-on, interactive activities within each discipline and field trips. Students will gain CPR certification and receive the necessary information to pursue the School of Allied Health Professions application process.
Acceptance to the program is based on competitive application. Emphasis will be placed on recruiting students from under-represented backgrounds (educational, social, or economic) with the primary goal of contributing to a diverse educational environment.
Cost: There is no cost to participants. Lunch and any resource materials required to participate in the program will be provided.
- Students must be at least 16 years old by the start of the program.
- Enrolled in a Louisiana high school entering their junior or senior year the fall of 2020.
- Minimum 2.5 high school GPA at the time of application.
- Access to reliable transportation and commitment to full attendance.
Due to the potential risk of harm to the unborn fetus, pregnant females will not be allowed to participate in this program.
- Medical Laboratory Scientist
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Physician Assistant
- Public Health Professional
- Respiratory Therapist
- Speech-Language Pathologist
How to Apply
The following application items are due by April 1, 2020:
- Completed application; there are two options for application submission:
a. Online Application or
b. Paper Application
- High school transcript (minimum 2.5 GPA required)
- Recommendation form from high school teacher, counselor, or principal
Paper application items can be mailed to the below school address or scanned and emailed to
LSU Health Shreveport
Allied Health Admissions
1501 Kings Highway
Shreveport, LA 71103
Student Admissions Office