In 1941, Northeast Louisiana Charity Hospital, also known as Monroe Charity Hospital, opened. In 1948, the legislature changed Monroe’s hospital name to EA Conway Charity Hospital in honor of the late Secretary of State Erwin Allen Conway. In October of 2018 when the partnership between LSU Health Shreveport and Ochsner Health System began, the facility name was changed again to Monroe Medical Center. As has long been the case, both clinical, medical education and research occur at this location. Today, over 40 LSU Health Shreveport faculty teach rotating medical students and residents while also providing patient care at this facility.
Training in Monroe, includes a Family Medicine Residency Program with 24 Residents and several residency programs that rotate and provide services/training including: Hematology/Oncology, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Psychiatry, Surgery and Urology.