Rheumatology is a subspecialty in Internal Medicine that deals with the joints, soft tissues, autoimmune diseases and heritable connective tissue disorders. Our Rheumatology doctors are specialized in the diagnosis, treatment and therapy of the rheumatic diseases. They diagnose and treat musculoskeletal disease and systemic autoimmune conditions. Furthermore, the goal of our doctors is to find the underlying cause of rheumatic disease and conduct research to find better treatment options.
Our Rheumatology fellows here at LSU Health Shreveport have already completed a 3 year Internal Medicine Residency. The rheumatology fellowship is and additional two years required to learn about the causes, risk factors and treatment of chronic musculoskeletal and autoimmune conditions. Conditions treated by our Rheumatology fellows are diseases of inflammation and auto-immunity, soft tissue diseases, diseases that affect bones, and certain genetic disorders
Strategies our fellows use to manage patients in rheumatology may range from drug treatments, physical and occupational therapy, rehabilitation and even surgery in severe cases. Drug therapies range from anti-inflammatory drugs, to opiates, to antidepressants.
Recent advances in immunology and genealogy of rheumatic diseases have made rheumatology a growing field of study. Rheumatologists are currently exploring the association between immunology and autoimmune disorders. Novel agents known as biologics are emerging as an established treatment for patients with chronic and severe conditions of the locomotor system. Study of these agents and improvement of outcomes among patients with these conditions fall under the umbrella of rheumatology.
When fellows complete their training they are highly trained specialists with a specific combination of Immunology, general Internal Medicine, and Rheumatology to provide excellent health care for patients.
- To train competent and compassionate physicians capable of independently providing care to patients with Rheumatologic and auto-immune problems.
- To train physicians in all areas of Rheumatology techniques including more advanced techniques
- To train doctors in a caring and collegial environment who are capable of succeeding in private practice or academic settings.
- To maintain fellow wellness as a priority and to provide opportunities for lifelong wellness training
- To foster the value the lifelong learning