The Department of Pediatrics believes the best patient care is delivered when the major responsibilities rest with the intern and resident while having highly accessible attendings and consultants. Thus, pediatric residents take active roles in patient care and are the primary care physicians under faculty supervision on all inpatient services and in the Pediatric Ambulatory Clinic (PAC). We believe that interns must “learn by doing” in order to succeed as a pediatrician. The large referral area of Ocshner LSU Health assures that experience is gained over a wide spectrum of common and uncommon illnesses. Supervision and teaching of medical students is another important facet of Pediatric training at Shreveport, and there are numerous opportunities for research as well.
Training is divided into month long blocks spent on various clinical rotations.
The principal rotations are:
- Ambulatory Clinic
- Inpatient Wards
- Pediatric Intensive Care
- Pediatric ER
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- Newborn Nursery
- Subspecialty Electives
- Continuity Clinic (1/2 day per week)
The LSU Health Shreveport Pediatric Residency Training Program accepts applications only via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
1. Applicants for the PGY-1 level are selected through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
2. NO PRE-MATCH POSITIONS ARE OFFERED.
3. There are 8 PGY-1 Positions available for 2020-2021.
4. International medical graduates (IMGs) must register for ERAS by contacting the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
5. LSU Health Shreveport sponsors J-1 visas ONLY.
6. There is no minimum USMLE or COMLEX score necessary for application.
♦The Pediatric Residency Training Program at LSU Health Shreveport requires that applicants pass USMLE Step 2 (Clinical Skills) on the FIRST attempt.
♦The Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners limits the number of attempts for Step 2 (Clinical Knowledge) and Step 3 at four attempts each.
7. There are no medical school graduation date requirements.
8. There are no U.S. Clinical experience requirements.
9. The deadline for applications is December 15, 2020.
Please Note: Our institution does not allow externships or observerships for international medical graduates
All interviews will be conducted virtually this year due to COVID-19 precautions.