Pathology Honors & Publications
- Shoujun Chen, MD, PhD, Pathology Resident, received Second Place for Excellence in Research for his project “The Use of Selective Engagement Assays to Discern the Function of Syndecans in Podocytes” at the Annual Albert G. Smith Research Forum on June 2nd.
- Valerie Lockhart, MD, MBA, Pathology Chief Resident, received Third Place for Excellence in Research for her project “Ordering, Reporting, and Billing of Immunohistochemical Stains in Copath at a Single Institution: A Quality Assurance Study” at the Annual Albert G. Smith Research Forum on June 2nd.
- A. Wayne Orr, PhD, Professor of Pathology, Physiology, Cellular Biology & Anatomy, was selected to serve on the National Institutes of Health’s Vascular Cell and Molecular Biology Study Section. His six-year appointment began July 1st.
- Roberto Silva, MD, Pathology Resident, received the Annual Resident In-service Exam Award for placing in the 99th percentile.
- Hongzhi Xu, MD, PhD, Pathology Resident, received Second Place for Excellence in Research for his project “Phagocytotic Activity of Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MSCs) is an Important Mechanism in Repairing the Damaged Mesangium” at the Annual Albert G. Smith Research Forum on June 2nd.
- Alexandra C. Finney, BS, PhD Candidate and Graduate Research Assistant; Steven D. Funk, PhD, Pathology; Jonette Green, BS, Pathology Research Associate; Arif Yurdagul Jr., PhD,Pathology; Mohammad A. Rana, MD, Cardiology Fellow; Rebecca Pistorius, MD, Pathology Resident; Miriam Henry, BS, Medical Student; Andrew D. Yurochko, PhD, Professor of Microbiology & Immunology; Christopher B. Pattillo, PhD, Assistant Professor of Physiology; James G. Traylor, MD, Associate Professor of Pathology; Matthew D. Woolard, PhD, Associate Professor of Microbiology & Immunology; Christopher G. Kevil, PhD, Vice Chancellor of Research; A. Wayne Orr, PhD: “EphA2 Expression Regulates Inflammation and Fibroproliferative Remodeling in Atherosclerosis,” Circulation, May 9th.
- Rajpal S, Katikaneni P, Deshotels M, Pardue S, Glawe J, Shen X, Akkus N, Modi K, Bhandari R, Dominic P, Reddy P, Kolluru GK, Kevil CG. Total sulfane sulfur bioavailability reflects ethnic and gender disparities in cardiovascular disease. Redox Biol. 2018 May;15:480-489. doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2018.01.007. Epub 2018 Feb 3. PubMed PMID: 29413960.
- Whitener RL, Gallo Knight L, Li J, Knapp S, Zhang S, Annamalai M, Pliner VM, Fu D, Radichev I, Amatya C, Savinov A, Yurdagul A Jr, Yuan S, Glawe J, Kevil CG, Chen J, Stimpson SE, Mathews CE. The Type 1 Diabetes-Resistance Locus Idd22 Controls Trafficking of Autoreactive CTLs into the Pancreatic Islets of NOD Mice. J Immunol. 2017 Dec 15;199(12):3991-4000. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1602037. Epub 2017 Nov 6. PubMed PMID: 29109122; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5716886.
- Leskova A, Pardue S, Glawe JD, Kevil CG, Shen X. Role of thiosulfate in hydrogen sulfide-dependent redox signaling in endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017 Aug 1;313(2):H256-H264. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00723.2016. Epub 2017 May 26. PubMed PMID: 28550177; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5582921.
- Al-Yafaei Z.*, Yurdagul Jr. A.*, Peretik J.M., Alfaidi M., Murphy P., and A.W. Orr. (2018) Endothelial a5ß1 integrins regulate fibronectin deposition, inflammation, and early atherosclerosis: a novel regulatory role for cell-derived fibronectin. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol., 38: 2601-2614. *co-authors.
- Mravic M., Hu H., Lu Z., Bennett J.S., Sanders C.R., Orr A.W., and W.F. DeGrado. (2018) De novo designed transmembrane peptides activating the integrin a5ß1. Prot. Eng. Design Select., 31: 181-190.
- Yuan S.*, Yurdagul Jr. A.*, Peretik J.M., Alfaidi M., Al Yafeai Z., Pardue S., Kevil C.G., and A.W. Orr. (2018) Cystathionine y-lyase modulates flow-dependent vascular remodeling. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol., 38: 2126-2136. *co-authors
- Abdullah CS, Alam S, Aishwarya T, Miriyala S, Bhuiyan MAN, Panchatcharam M, Pattillo CB, Orr AW, Sadoshima J, Hill JA, Bhuiyan MS. Doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy associated with inhibition of autophagic degradation process and defects in mitochondrial respiration. Sci Rep. 2019 Feb 14;9(1):2002. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-37862-3.
- Abdullah CS, Alam S, Aishwarya T, Miriyala S, Panchatcharam M, Bhuiyan MAN, Peretik JM, Orr AW, James J, Osinska H, Robbins J, Lorenz JN, Bhuiyan MS. Cardiac dysfunction in the Sigmar1 knockout mouse associated with impaired mitochondrial dynamics and bioenergetics. J Am Heart Assoc. 2018;7:e009775 DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.118.009775.
- Alam S, Abdullah CS, Aishwarya T, Miriyala S, Panchatcharam M, Peretik JM, Orr AW, James J, Robbins J, Bhuiyan MS. Aberrant mitochondrial fission is maladaptive in Desmin mutation-induced cardiac proteotoxicity. J Am Heart Assoc. 2018;7:e009289. DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.118.009289.