Orthopaedic Surgery research at LSU Health Shreveport consists of the laboratories of Patrick Massey, MD, MBA; Yufeng Dong, MD, Phd; Giovanni F. Solitro, PhD; Kevin Perry, MD; and Andrew Zhang, MD. All of our labs collaborate constantly to produce high quality impactful research.
Dr. Patrick Massey is the Director of Clinical Research and focuses on meniscus repair research and augmentation to promote healing in the knee and other areas. He also focuses on studies to improve resident training and protecting residents from radiation. Dr. Solitro is the Director of the Biomechanics Educational Laboratory, investigator of the biomechanics of various joints, and he also educates residents and medical students on the application of physics and computer aided design techniques in basic science research. Dr. Dong focuses on translational research and stem cell technologies to enhance musculoskeletal healing. Dr. Perry’s lab is focused on enhancing trauma outcomes in the orthopaedic trauma patient. Dr. Zhang’s lab is focused on artificial intelligence, machine learning, and navigation based spine surgery.
Biomechanics Educational Laboratory
Biomechanics is especially important in Orthopaedic Surgery, a specialty that requires precision to treat injuries relating to bones, joints, tendons, muscles and other aspects of the body’s musculoskeletal system. LSU Health Shreveport faculty physicians, medical students, residents and researchers, under the direction of Dr. Giovanni F. Solitro, are teaming up in the Biomechanics Educational Laboratory to assist orthopaedic surgeons in the development and evaluation of surgical approaches.
Research Publications by Topic
Resident Wellness, Education and Safety
- Massey, P. A., Myers, M. E., Guedry, R. D., Lowery, M. T., Perry, K. J., & Barton, R. S. (2022). Improved Radiation Exposure Monitoring of Orthopaedic Residents After Institution of a Personalized Lead Protocol. JB & JS open access, 7(1), e21.00115. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.OA.21.00115
- Zhang, A. S., Myers, M., Kee, C. J., McClary, K. N., Barton, R. S., & Massey, P. A. (2020). Adapting Orthopaedic Surgery Training Programs During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Future Directions. Arthroscopy, Sports Medicine, and Rehabilitation. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asmr.2020.06.008
- Massey, P. A., McClary, K., Zhang, A. S., Savoie, F. H., & Barton, R. S. (2020). Orthopaedic Surgical Selection and Inpatient Paradigms During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic. In The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Vol. 28, Issue 11, pp. 436–450). NLM (Medline). https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-20-00360
- Addevico, F., Morandi, M., Scaglione, M., & Solitro, G. F. (2020). Screw insertion torque as parameter to judge the fixation. Assessment of torque and pull-out strength in different bone densities and screw-pitches. Clinical Biomechanics, 72, 130–135. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2019.12.004
- Massey, P. A., Feibel, B., Thomson, H., Watkins, A., Chauvin, B., & Barton, R. S. (2020). Synovial fluid leukocyte cell count before versus after administration of antibiotics in patients with septic arthritis of a native joint. Journal of Orthopaedic Science. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jos.2019.11.011
- Solitro, G. F., Mainnemare, F., Amirouche, F., & Mehta, A. (2019). A novel technique with reduced computed tomography exposure to predict vertebral compression fracture: a finite element study based on rat vertebrae. Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, 57(4), 795–805. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11517-018-1918-9
- Luo, Z., Shang, X., Zhang, H., Wang, G., Massey, P. A., Barton, S. R., Kevil, C. G., & Dong, Y. (2019). Notch Signaling in Osteogenesis, Osteoclastogenesis, and Angiogenesis. In American Journal of Pathology (Vol. 189, Issue 8, pp. 1495–1500). Elsevier Inc. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpath.2019.05.005
- Perry, K. J., Massey, P. A., Simoncini, A., & Barton, R. S. (2018). Third place: MRI safety of external fixation devices: A review of the literature. In Current Orthopaedic Practice (Vol. 29, Issue 4, pp. 302–307). Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. https://doi.org/10.1097/BCO.0000000000000635
- Massey, P. A., Harris, J. D., Winston, L. A., Lintner, D. M., Delgado, D. A., & McCulloch, P. C. (2017). Lever test yielded high sensitivity, specificity in diagnosis of ACL injury. In the Journals: Prospective. https://www.healio.com/news/orthopedic
- Massey, P. A., Harris, J. D., Winston, L. A., Lintner, D. M., Delgado, D. A., & McCulloch, P. C. (2017). Critical Analysis of the Lever Test for Diagnosis of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Insufficiency. Arthroscopy - Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, 33(8), 1560–1566. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2017.03.007
- Castillo, R. C., Raja, S. N., Frey, K. P., Vallier, H. A., Tornetta, P., Jaeblon, T., Goff, B. J., Gottschalk, A., Scharfstein, D. O., O’Toole, R. V., Allen, L. E., Carlini, A. R., De Lissovoy, G., MacKenzie, E. J., Taylor, T. J., & Weng, Y. (2017). Improving pain management and long-term outcomes following high-energy orthopaedic trauma (pain study). Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. https://doi.org/10.1097/BOT.0000000000000793