Shreveport is located in Northwest Louisiana. It was founded in 1836. Shreveport extends along the West Bank of the Red River. Below, you'll find some interesting facts about the area as well as some of our favorite restaurants and things to do around town.
- The world’s first ever Shriner’s Hospital was founded in Shreveport in 1922.
- From 1948 to 1960, Shreveport was home to the hit radio show “Louisiana Hayride”, which has been credited with launching the careers of Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, and Hank Williams over its 10+ year run.
- One of the largest art murals in the U.S., the “Once In A Millennium Moon Mega Mural”, is located in downtown Shreveport. It covers 25,000 sq. ft. on the AT&T building.
- Elvis Presley sang the jingle for Shreveport’s Southern Maid Donuts commercial in the 1950s. It was the only commercial he ever did.
- Chimp Haven, a sanctuary for chimpanzees who have been retired from biomedical research and the entertainment industry, is located just outside of Shreveport.
- The American Rose Center, which has been the headquarters of the American Rose Society for 40 years, has an astonishing 20,000 rose bushes.
- Many of the exterior scenes in the HBO series “True Blood” were filmed on a plantation near Shreveport.
- “Horse Soldiers” was filmed in the area in 1959 and the world premier was held at the Strand Theater.
- Shreveport is home to sports superstars Terry Bradshaw, Todd Walker, Tommy Maddox, Freddie Spencer, and Hal Sutton.
- Famous musicians from Shreveport include Kix Brooks and Hank Williams, Jr.
- Actor Jared Leto was born in neighboring Bossier City, LA
Favorite Places to Eat:
- Nick George: Frank’s Pizza Napoletana
- Katherine Davis: Frank’s Louisiana Kitchen for live jazz brunch on Sunday
- Katie Hudgens: Pepito’s & Company
- Daniel Poole: Ferrier’s Rollin’ in the Dough
- Caleb Dupre: Athena Greek & Lebanese Grill
- Thomas Rutherford: 2 John’s Steak & Seafood
- Dr. Bass: Frank’s Pizza Napoletana
- Dr. Beal: Giuseppe’s PastaCaffe
- Dr. Callegan-Poché: Papa & Company
Favorite Things to Do:
- Nick George: Highland Jazz & Blues Festival
- Katherine Davis: Farmer’s Market
- Daniel Poole: Breweries (Great Raft, Red River, Flying Heart), Disc Golf, Hiking at the Wildlife Refuge
- Caleb Dupre: Margaritaville
- Elliot Sorrell: Visit the parks around town with my family
- Dr. Callegan-Poché: Chimp Haven
- Dr. Adams: Norton Art Gallery and Art Space
- Dr. Beal: Robinson Film Center
Loading from Vimeo...
In partnership with our local S-B Convention & Tourist Bureau, we have some videos to share that only begin to tell the story of all there is to see and do in Northwest Louisiana. We hope you will choose LSU Health Shreveport as your place for learning, working and living!