The LSU Health Shreveport Department of Family Medicine strives to be a premier educator of medical students and family medicine residents, a leading provider of primary health care for Louisiana citizens, and a highly effective promoter of Family Medicine.
- People are our greatest resource
- Relationships characterized by integrity and honesty
- An environment conducive to growth and learning
- Empowerment of patients, learners, faculty, and staff to pursue healthy, productive, and satisfying lives
- The ideals of Family Medicine expressed through excellence in education, patient care and community leadership
- Excellence in patient care based on the best available scientific evidence and delivered with compassion, respect, teamwork and professionalism
- A sense of genuine teamwork, where all members of the healthcare team are respected by other members, value their own contributions and are eager to assist with any necessary task
Our department has a long history of innovative training for medical students and residents. From its inception, a stated goal of the LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport was to have a high percentage of our graduates choose a career in family medicine. We continue to strive toward that goal today. We have recently improved our student curriculum to accomplish both longitudinal experiences and block training. Our department has family medicine residencies in Shreveport, Monroe, and Alexandria with a total of seventy-two residents in training at any one time. The Shreveport program also has a rural training track in Vivian. In addition, we have a combined Emergency Medicine/Family Medicine residency program - one of only two in the nation. Our faculty is diverse and includes nationally known experts in procedural training and women’s health. Five members of our faculty have been chosen as Louisiana Family Doctor of the Year, and two of our faculty members have served as President of the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians.