The Department of Anesthesiology has a thriving Research Division.
Our faculty and residents are committed to furthering knowledge in the field of Anesthesiology through basic, translational, and clinical research. We are also dedicated to combating the national opioid epidemic, as Louisiana is one of several states in the US with the highest number of opioid prescriptions and opioid overdose deaths.
The department has multiple ongoing research projects that range from general anesthesiology, airway, acute pain and regional anesthesia, cardiothoracic, drug abuse, neurology, obstetric, pediatric, pain management, and vascular anesthesia. Our faculty members are actively involved in institutional research, nationally-funded research, and clinically-led industry-funded research.
Our residents and faculty frequently present their research findings at both regional and national meetings, and the department provides full support and funding for these activities.
Research Faculty: Dr. Elyse Cornett, Dr. Charles Fox, Dr. Edwin Herron, Dr. Alan Kaye
Research Collaborations: Dept of Pharmacology, Toxicology, & Neuroscience; Dept. of Neurology; Dept. of Obstetrics; Dept. of OMFS; Feist Weiller Cancer Center; Louisiana Tech University; MERCK; REACHnet; LSU Ag Center Therapeutic Cannabis Program
Recent PMID Publications
Recent Poster Presentations
- Defective Endotracheal Balloon Discovered During COVID-19 Intubation
- Noncardiac Surgery in Post Orthotopic Heart Transplant Patients. Do's & Don'ts!
- Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy Unmasked in a Patient Undergoing Left Upper Lobe Resection
- Anesthetic Management of a Parturient Patient with VACTERL Syndrome
- Airway Management of a Patient with Tracheal and Esophageal Stents and associated TE Fistula
- Emergency Drug Boxes: A Quality Improvement Project
- An Unusual Case of Angioedema at Home and Eventual In-Hospital Multi-Disciplinary Management: A Case Report
- Clonidine as a Local Anesthetic Adjunct for Brachial Plexus Blockade: Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials
- Dexamethasone as an Adjuct for Brachial Plexus: Meta-Analysis
- The Use of Tramadol in Intravenous Regional Anesthesia for Distal Upper Extremity Surgery: Meta-Analysis