Hyung W. Nam, PhD
Assistant Professor of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Neuroscience
Major Research Interests
1. Nam HW, Park SJ, Pyo HS, Paeng KJ. Applied analysis for metabolic profiling of trace-level amino acid in biological fluid. Anal Sci & Technol 16: 349-355, 2003.
2. Kang D, Nam HW, Kim YS, Moon MH. Dual-purpose sample trap for on-line strong cation- exchange chromatography/reversed-phase liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry for shotgun proteomics. Application to the human Jurkat T-cell proteome. J Chromatogr A 1070:193-200, 2005.
3. Nam HW, Simpson R, Kim YS. N-terminal isotope tagging with propionic anhydride: proteomic analysis of myogenic differentiation of C2C12 cells. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 826:91-107, 2005.
4. Nam HW, Lee GY, Kim YS. Mass spectrometric identification of K210 essential for rat malonyl-CoA decarboxylase catalysis. J Proteome Res 5:1398-1406, 2006.
5. Yang WH, Kim JE, Nam HW, Ju JW, Kim HS, Kim YS, Cho JW. Modification of p53 with O-linked N-acetylglucosamine regulates p53 activity and stability. Nature Cell Biololy 8:1074-1083, 2006.
6. Koo BK, Jung J, Jung H, Nam HW, Kim YS, Yee A, Lee W. Solution structure of the hypothetical novel-fold protein TA0956 from Thermoplasma acidophilum. Proteins 69: 444-447, 2007.
7. Matsumoto R*, Nam HW*, Agrawal GK, Kim YS, Iwahashi H, Rakwal R. Exploring novel function of yeast Ssa1/2p by quantitative profiling proteomics using nanoLC-MS/MS. J Proteome Res 6:3465-3474, 2007. (*:co-first author)
8. Furusawa T, Rakwal R, Nam HW, Hirano M, Shibato J, Kim YS, Ogawa Y, Yoshida Y, Kramer KJ, Kouzuma Y, Agrawal GK, Yonekura M. Systematic investigation of the hemolymph proteome of Manduca sexta at the fifth instar larvae stage using one- and two-dimensional proteomics platforms. J Proteome Res 7:938-959, 2008.
9. Kim MK, Kang MR, Nam HW, Bae YS, Kim YS, Chung IK. Regulation of telomeric repeat binding factor 1 binding to telomeres by casein kinase 2-mediated phosphorylation. J Biol Chem 283:14144-14152, 2008.
10. Horie K, Rakwal R, Hirano M, Shibato J, Nam HW, Kim YS, Kouzuma Y, Agrawal GK, Masuo Y, Yonekura M. Proteomics of two cultivated mushrooms Sparassis crispa and Hericium erinaceum provides insight into their numerous functional protein components and diversity. J Proteome Res 7:1819-1835, 2008.
11. Furusawa T, Rakwal R, Nam HW, Shibato J, Agrawal GK, Kim YS, Ogawa Y, Yoshida Y, Kouzuma Y, Masuo Y, Yonekura M. Comprehensive royal jelly (RJ) proteomics using one- and two-dimensional proteomics platforms reveals novel RJ proteins and potential phospho/glycoproteins. J Proteome Res 7:3194-3229, 2008.
12. Lim JC, Choi HI, Park YS, Nam HW, Woo HA, Kwon KS, Kim YS, Rhee SG, Kim K, Chae HZ. Irreversible oxidation of the active-site cysteine of peroxiredoxin to cysteine sulfonic acid for enhanced molecular chaperone activity. J Biol Chem 283:28873-28880, 2008.
13. Yang WH, Park SY, Nam HW, Kim DH, Kang JG, Kang ES, Kim YS, Lee HC, Kim KS, Cho JW. NFkappaB activation is associated with its O-GlcNAcylation state under hyperglycemic conditions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:17345-17350, 2008.
14. Seo JH, Lim JC, Lee DY, Kim KS, Piszczek G, Nam HW, Kim YS, Ahn T, Yoon CH, Kim KH, Chock PB, Chae HZ. A novel protective mechanism against irreversible hyperoxidation of peroxiredoxin: N alpha -terminal acetylation of human peroxiredoxin II. J Biol Chem 284: 13455-13465, 2009.
15. Kim TH, Kim DH, Nam HW, Park SY, Shim J, Cho JW. Tyrosylprotein sulfotransferase regulates collagen secretion in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Cells 29:413-418, 2010.
16. Kim DH, Budhavarapu V, Herrera CR, Nam HW, Kim YS, Yew PR. The CRL4CDT2 ubiquitin ligase mediates the proteolysis of CDK inhibitor XIC1 through a direct association with PCNA. Mol Cell Biol 30:4120-4133, 2010.
17. Park SY, Kim HS, Kim NH, Ji S, Cha SY, Kang JG, Ota I, Shimada K, Konishi N, Nam HW, Hong SW, Yang WH, Roth J, Yook JI, Cho JW. Snail1 is stabilized by O-GlcNAc modification in hyperglycemic condition. EMBO J 29:3787-3796, 2010.
18. Yong Y, Choi SW, Choi HJ, Nam HW, Kim JA, Jeong DU, Kim DY, Kim YS, Kim DW. Exogenous signal-independent nuclear IkB kinase activation triggered by Nkx3.2 enables constitutive nuclear degradation of IkB-a in chondrocytes. Mol Cell Biol 14:2802-2816, 2011.
19. Nam HW, Lee MR, Hinton DJ, Choi DS. Reduced effect of NMDA glutamate receptor antagonist on ethanol-induced ataxia and striatal glutamate levels in mice lacking ENT1. Neurosci Lett 479:277-281, 2010.
20. Chen J, Nam HW, Lee MR, Hinton DJ, Choi S, Kim T, Kawamura T, Janak PH, Choi DS. Altered glutamatergic neurotransmission in the striatum regulates ethanol sensitivity and intake in mice lacking ENT1. Behav Brain Res 208:636-642, 2010.
21. Ruby CL, Adams CA, Knight EJ, Nam HW, Choi DS. An Essential role for adenosine signaling in alcohol abuse. Curr Drug Abuse Rev 3:163-174, 2010.
22. Kim JH, Karpyak VM, Biernack JM, Nam HW, Lee MR, Preusse UW, Zillf P, Yoong GH, Colbyc C, Mrazek DA, Choi DS. Functional role of the polymorphic 647 T/C variant of ENT1 (SLC29A1) and its association with alcohol withdrawal seizures. PLoS One 6: e16331, 2011.
23. Asatryan L, Nam HW, Lee MR, Thakkar MM, Dar MS, Davies DL, Choi DS. Implication of the purinergic system in alcohol use disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:584-594, 2011.
24. Nam HW, Lee MR, Zhu Y, Wu J, Hinton DJ, Choi S, Kim T, Hammack N, Yin JC, Choi DS. Type 1 equilibrative nucleoside transporter regulates ethanol drinking through accumbal N-Methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor signaling. Biol Psychiatry 69:1043-1051, 2011. Selected as 10 top-ranking articles in Biological Psychiatry 2011.
25. Nam HW, McIver SM, Hinton DJ, Thakkar MM, Sari Y, Parkinson FE, Haydon P, Choi DS. Adenosine and glutamate signaling in neuron-glia interaction: Implication in alcoholism and sleep disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36:1117-1125, 2012.
26. Nam HW, Hinton DJ, Choi S, Kang N, Chang SY, Choi DS. Adenosine transporter ENT1 regulates the acquisition of goal-directed behavior and ethanol drinking through A2A Receptor in the dorsomedial striatum. J Neurosci 33:4329-4338, 2013.
27. Nam HW, Bruner RC, Choi DS. Adenosine signaling in striatal circuits and alcohol use disorders. Mol Cells 36:3 195-202, 2013.
28. Nam HW, Karpyak VM, Li X, Walker DL, Hinton DJ, Choi H, Abulseoud OA, Frye MA, Mrazek DA, Choi DS. Elevated baseline serum glutamate as a pharmacometabolomic biomarker for acamprosate treatment outcome in alcohol dependent subjects. Transl Psychiatry, 5, e621, 2015. -Highlighted in NARSAD 2015 Summer Quarterly
29. Reker AN, Oliveros A, Hinton DJ, Kim T, Bruner RC, Sullivan JM, Choi DS, Goeders NE, Nam HW. Accumbal Neurogranin Regulates mGluR5 Mediated NMDAR Hypo-function and Motivation Related to Ethanol Seeking. Neurophamacology,131: 58-67, 2018
30. Germany CE, Reker AN, Hinton DJ, Oliveros A, Smith K, Cvek U, Choi DS, Nam HW. Pharmacoproteomics identifies the drug efficacy mechanism in acamprosate treatment and alcoholism. Proteomics, 18(7), e1700417, 2018
31. Chandra M, Escalante-Alcaldeb D, Bhuiyan MS, Orr AW, Kevil C, Morrisd AJ, Nam HW, Dominic P, McCarthy KJ, Miriyala S, Panchatcharama M. Cardiac-specific inactivation of LPP3 in mice leads to myocardial dysfunction and heart failure. Redox Biology, 14:261-271, 2018
32. Sreedhar A, Cassell T, Smith P, Lu D, Nam HW, Lane AN, Zhao Y. UCP2 Overexpression Redirects Glucose into Anabolic Metabolic Pathways. Proteomics, 19(4): e1800353, 2019
33. Sullivan JM 3rd, Grant CA, Reker AN, Nahar L, Goeders NE, Nam HW, Neurogranin regulates sensorimotor gating through cortico-striatal circuitry. Neurophamacology,150: 91-99, 2019
34. Nam HW, Grant CA, Jorgensen AN, Holtz-Heppelmann CJ, Trutschl M, Cvek U, Neurogranin regulates alcohol sensitivity through AKT pathway in the nucleus accumbens. Proteomics. 20(1): e1900266, 2020
35. Cheriyan V, Alfaidi M, Jorgensen AN, Alam MA, Abdullah CS, Kolluru GK, Bhuiyan MD, Kevil CG, Orr AW, Nam HW, Neurogranin regulates eNOS function and endothelial activation. Redox Biology, 34: 101487, 2020
36. Lailun N, Grant CA, Hewett C, Cortes D, Reker AN, Kang S, Choi DS, Nam HW, Regulation of Pv-Specific Interneurons in the Medial Prefrontal Cortex and Reward-Seeking Behaviors, J Neurochem, In Press, 2020
37. Abulseoud OA, Ross TJ, Nam HW, Caarelli EC, Tennekopon M, Schleyer B, Castillo J, Fedota J, Gu H, Yang Y, Stein E, Short-term nicotine deprivation alters dorsal anterior cingulate glutamate concentration and concomitant cingulate-cortical functional connectivity, Neuropsychopharmacology, In Press, 2020
38. Kilgore PJM, Trutschl M, Cvek U, Nam HW, hSOM: Visualizing Self-Organizing Maps to Accomodate Categorical Data. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference Information Visualisation (IV), IEEE Computer Society, 6:611-617, 2020
39. Jorgensen AN, Abdullah CS, Bhuiyan MS, Watt M, Dominic P, Kevil CG, Nam HW, Neurogranin regulates calcium-dependent cardiac hypertrophy, Under Revision, 2020
40. Nahar N, Delacroix BL, Nam HW, The role of Parvalbumin Interneurons in neurotransmitter balance and neurological disease, Under Revision, 2020
While we are not currently recruiting Post-doctoral Fellows, quality candidates will always be considered. To inquire about opportunities, contact Dr. Nam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate Students interested in conducting research in the Nam Lab should contact Dr. Nam at email@example.com.
Undergraduate Research Assistants
We are not currently hiring any additional undergraduates. However, positions can become available in the summer.
Medical Students, Residents, and Fellows
The Nam Lab has a number of research projects available for any Medical Students, Residents, and Fellows interested in drug addiction and alcoholism.