Hong Sun, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Cellular Biology and Anatomy
MD - Xuzhou Medical University
PhD, Neurosurgery - Mie University
Post-Doctoral Fellow - University of Nebraska Medical Center
Dr. Jiyu Li won a 1st place in the Best Poster Predoc Category at the 2019 Annual Meeting of the South Central Society of Toxicology.
Ms. Kimberly McCarter won a 1st place in the Best Poster Predoc Category at the 2017 Annual Conference of the North Louisiana Society of Neuroscience.
Dr. Chun Li won a 2nd place in the Best Poster Postdoc Category at the 2017 Annual Conference of LSU Health Shreveport Graduate Research Day.
Dr. Hong Sun has been awarded a five-year $1.63 million grant by the National Institutes of Health. He is the principal investigator of the project that will advance understanding of ischemic stroke during chronic alcohol consumption.
- Alcohol is one of the most commonly used and abused chemical substances. Epidemiological studies indicate that heavy ethanol consumption increases the incidence of ischemic stroke and worsens the prognosis of ischemic stroke, whereas low-moderate ethanol intake lowers the incidence of ischemic stroke and reduce mortality and infarct volume from ischemic stroke. Consistently, we recently found that alcohol consumption dose-dependently alters ischemic brain damage in rodents. The mechanisms underlying ischemic brain damage are complex and involve several interacting elements, including excitotoxicity, oxidative stress, inflammation, apoptosis, and autophagy. We are currently studying whether and how alcohol consumption affects post-ischemic oxidative stress, inflammation, apoptosis, and autophagy.
- There are several other elements contributing to ischemic brain damage, such as cerebrovascular function, post-ischemic hyperemia, and BBB dysfunction. Dilation of the pre-existing collateral arteries during ischemia is a critical mechanism for regional CBF rebuilding. Dilation of cerebral arteries in the ischemic area during reperfusion results in a hyperemia. Early BBB disruption can be found as early as within first hour of reperfusion. We are currently studying their roles in ischemic brain damage in mouse models of alcohol consumption, obesity, and aging.
- Hong Sun, Kenji Kanamaru, Masaaki Ito, Hidenori Suzuki, Tadashi Kojima, Shiro Waga, Yasuko Kureishi, and Takeshi Nagano. Myosin light chain phosphorylation and contractile proteins in a canine two hemorrhage model of subarachnoid hemorrhage. Stroke. 29: 2149-2154, 1998
- Hong Sun, Hong Zheng, Elizabeth Molacek, Qin Fang, Kaushik P. Patel, William G. Mayhan. Role of NAD(P)H oxidase in alcohol-induced impairment of endothelial nitric oxide synthase-dependent dilation of cerebral arterioles. Stroke. 37(2): 495-500, 2006
- Hong Sun, Elizabeth Molacek, Hong Zheng, Qin Fang, Kaushik P. Patel, William G. Mayhan. Alcohol-induced impairment of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS)-dependent dilation of cerebral arterioles: role of NAD(P)H oxidase. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 40(2): 321-328, 2006
- Honggang Zhao, William G. Mayhan, Denise M. Arrick, Wanfen Xiong, *Hong Sun. Alcohol-induced exacerbation of ischemic brain injury: Role of NADPH oxidase. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 34(11): 1948-1955, 2010
- Hong Sun, Wanfen Xiong, Denise M. Arrick, William G. Mayhan. Low-Dose Alcohol Consumption Protects Against Transient Focal Cerebral Ischemia in Mice: Role of PPAR γ. PLoS One. 7(7): e41716, 2012
- Zheng Jiang, Chun Li, Morganne L. Manuel, Shuai Yuan, Christopher G. Kevil, Kimberly D. McCarter, Wei Lu, Hong Sun. Role of hydrogen sulfide in early-stage blood-brain barrier disruption following transient focal cerebral ischemia. PLoS One. 10(2): e0117982, 2015
- Chun Li, Zheng Jiang, Wei Lu, Denise M. Arrick, Kimberly D. McCarter, Hong Sun. Effect of obesity on early blood-brain barrier disruption following transient focal cerebral ischemia. Obesity Science & Practice. 2(1): 58-68, 2016
- Kimberly D. McCarter, Chun Li, Zheng Jiang, Wei Lu, Hillary C. Smith, Guodong Xu, William G. Mayhan, Hong Sun. Effect of low-dose alcohol consumption on inflammation following transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats. Scientific Reports. 7(1): 12547, 2017
- Kimberly D. McCarter, Chun Li, Jiyu Li, Guodong Xu, Hong Sun. Influence of low-dose alcohol consumption on post-ischemic inflammation: Role of cystathionine γ-lyase. Alcohol. 76(5):81-89, 2019
- Guodong Xu, Chun Li, Anne Parsiola, Jiyu Li, Kimberly D. McCarter, Runhua Shi, William G. Mayhan, Hong Sun. Dose-dependent influences of ethanol on ischemic stroke: role of inflammation. Front. Cell. Neurosci. 13:6, 2019
Complete List of my Published Work in MyBibliography: LEARN MORE
Hong Sun, MD, PhD
Our laboratory has focused largely on developing novel strategies for the prevention and treatment of ischemic stroke by understanding the beneficial effect of light alcohol consumption and detrimental effect of heavy alcohol consumption.
Chun Li, MD
My project focuses on the role of PPARg and L-PGDS in the beneficial effect of light alcohol consumption against post-ischemic inflammation and apoptosis.
Guang Sun, BS
I am investigating the influence of chronic alcohol consumption on post-ischemic inflammation, apoptosis, and autophagy.
Jiyu Li, MD
My project focuses on the impact of chronic alcohol consumption on angiogenesis in the brain under physiological conditions and following ischemic stroke.
While we are not actively recruiting Post-doctoral Fellows.
Graduate students interested in conducting research in the Sun Lab should contact Dr. Sun at email@example.com.