Applied Practice Experience
Course Description: The Applied Practice Experience (APE) is a required culminating course in which MPH students conduct 200-hours of supervised fieldwork in a public health setting to apply the knowledge and skills acquired throughout the curriculum and demonstrate the attainment of foundational public health competencies.
Preceptor Sites: APE preceptor sites may involve governmental, non-governmental, non-profit, for-profit, industrial, or university-affiliated settings. In general, any organization that provides, plans for, coordinates, organizes, pays for, or regulates public health services is valid for consideration as a site. The LSU Shreveport/LSU Health Shreveport MPH Program faculty believe that a wide range of organizations and agencies can provide an appropriate and valuable applied practice experience for MPH students.
Bring a public health perspective to your organization by hosting an intern or trainee!
Organizations interested in hosting MPH students are welcome to email the Course Director, Madeline Barclay, MPH at firstname.lastname@example.org, to discuss partnership agreements. To qualify, host sites must provide a professional internship that will enhance participants' skills and prepare them for their future careers.
- Brittany Broussard - Programs to Increase Diversity in Healthcare at LSUHS Office of Diversity Affairs
- Jason Chapman - Behavioral Health Services at AIDS Services Coalition
- Karen Hendrix - Community Health Assessment at Fort Polk
- Ashley Moise - Employee Training and Community Health at Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport
- Shreya Saxena - Clinical Research in Pediatrics at University of Chicago
- Donna Tran - Reducing Children’s Dental Caries through Education at Miles for Smiles
- Laura Mackowiak - Culinary Medicine Immersion & Cancer Survivorship Class at Feist-Weiller Cancer Center
- Haley Brand - Comprehensive Reproductive Healthcare at Hope Medical Group for Women
- Kate Duffy - Patient Exercise Promotion at MLK Health Center & Pharmacy
- Morgan Hope - Arts in Medicine at Feist-Weiller Cancer Center
- Ruth Kasalwe - Health & Wellness Interventions Caddo Parish Head Start at LSUHS Children's Center
- Skylar Williams - Diabetes Self Management & Nutrition Education at MLK Health Center & Pharmacy
- Theresa Boston - Child Abuse and Trafficking at The Gingerbread House
- Ed Bunce - Youth Health & Wellness Initiatives at Hallsville Independent School District
- Aishat Adewoye - Health Intervention & Mental Health Comparison Study for Head Start Teachers at LSUHS Children's Center