Doctor of Occupational Therapy
SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR OTCAS
- Please follow these instructions carefully as the LSU Health Shreveport Occupational Therapy Program will use the information provided on OTCAS to make decisions regarding admission.
- Check your OTCAS email regularly since this is how the Program will communicate with you. Make sure that emails from OTCAS are accepted (not sent to junk mail) by your email program.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to complete the correct prerequisite courses and to meet application deadlines. The Program does not notify applicants of missing documents, ineligible prerequisites or approaching deadlines.
- The Program starts accepting applications through OTCAS in July. Interviews are held in December and successful applicants are admitted to the program in May. Applicant responsibilities are listed according to this timeline.
- Create OTCAS account and begin application. You will need to submit three letters of reference which OTCAS calls “evaluations.” These do not impact the LSU Health Shreveport OTD admission decisions but the OTCAS system requires them. Feel free to upload blank documents.
- Once you have listed all colleges you have attended in the OTCAS system, you should print the Transcript Request Form (located within the OTCAS system) and provide it to the Registrar’s office at each institution so that the Registrar can send an official copy of your transcript to OTCAS. Do this in July so that the official transcript will arrive at OTCAS in time for the system to verify your grades.
- Upload a resume addressing the following as applicable: work history, volunteer work, extracurricular activities, and relevant life experiences.
- Your Personal Statement (essay) should address why you selected OT as a career and how an Occupational Therapy degree relates to your immediate and long-term professional goals. Describe how your personal, educational, and professional background will help you achieve your goals. The personal statement (essay) is an important part of your application for admission and provides you with an opportunity for you to clearly and effectively express your ideas.
- Print and follow directions on the Document of Experience form and/or Assignment and Reflection Documentation Packet.
October 15, 2022
Deadline to submit your final application. "Submit" means that you have completed the “submit and pay” process on OTCAS. Depending on what documents OTCAS has already received, submitting will move your application from an “In-Progress” status to a “Received > Awaiting Materials” status or a “Materials Received (Complete) > Verifying” status. In order for your application to meet the October 31st verification deadline, you should have all your materials in by October 15 (and have a “Materials Received (Complete)>Verifying” status). The verification process may take up to six weeks. While we will still consider applications which are not complete after October15, we will not consider applications submitted after October 15.
November 30, 2022
- Deadline for "verified" OTCAS application If your application is not verified by OTCAS by this date, your application will not go forward.
- Deadline for submission of Document of Experience and/or Assignment and Reflection Documentation Packet to:
OR via email at email@example.com
December 31, 2022
Unofficial Fall 2022 transcripts are due in the Program in Occupational Therapy office for students who were enrolled during the Fall semester. Unofficial transcripts should be sent to Dr. Walters at the above address or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews are scheduled in early January. Students who have been selected for interviews will be notified by email through OTCAS. It is the applicants’ responsibility to monitor their OTCAS email account and respond to all emails. Interviews may be conducted virtually.
January 30, 2023
Applicants are notified of the admissions committee’s decisions. Applicants are notified by OTCAS email and official university letter. Acceptances are conditional until applicant meets all admission requirements.
March 1, 2023
- Deadline to accept offer of position in class of 2026 (incoming 2023) with written confirmation and deposit.
- Applicants on the waitlist are notified of openings.
- Applicants who have accepted offer will be given instructions for completing further requirements for admission
March 30, 2023
Admissions cycle ends. Remaining applicants on waitlist are notified of status.
- Complete OTCAS submission online
- Send Document of Experience forms and/or Assignment and Reflection Documentation Packet
- Send unofficial Fall transcripts
Sara Walters, DrOT, LOTR, BCP
Determining Residency Status, click HERE
Student Admissions Office