In response to the COVID-19 situation, the following considerations have been made to the admissions criteria:
1. Pass/fail grades will be accepted for non-prerequisite courses for the Spring 2020 semester only. At this time, we are not accepting pass/fail grades for prerequisite courses.
2. In light of the difficulty that many applicants are having in gaining access to health care facilities to complete observation hours, the LSU Health Occupational Therapy Program is accepting completion of the Online Shadowing Program designed by Cheryl Lucas, EdD, OTR/L, OTD Program Director at Quinnipiac University in lieu of observation hours.
- The learning modules may be found HERE. The password is: LucasQU
- The Assignment and Reflection Documentation Packet should be completed in its entirety and emailed to Ms. Angie Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31, 2020 at the latest.
3. The GRE submission deadline has been extended to December 31, 2020. Applicants are encouraged to still submit the GRE by the application deadline; however, if this is not possible, applicants who are otherwise qualified may still be offered an interview. In these cases, applicants must still submit their GRE scores to DI code 7408 by December 31.
Instructions for admission applications are subject to change due to COVID-19. Please check this website often for the most recent update.
SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR OTCAS
- Please follow these instructions carefully as the LSU Health Shreveport Occupational Therapy Program will use the information provided on OTCAS to make decisions regarding admission.
- Check your OTCAS email regularly since this is how the Program will communicate with you. Make sure that emails from OTCAS are accepted (not sent to junk mail) by your email program.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to complete the correct prerequisite courses and to meet application deadlines. The Program does not notify applicants of missing documents, ineligible prerequisites or approaching deadlines.
- The Program starts accepting applications through OTCAS in July. Interviews are held in December and successful applicants are admitted to the program in May. Applicant responsibilities are listed according to this timeline.
July 17, 2020
- Create OTCAS account and begin application. You will need to submit three letters of reference which OTCAS calls “evaluations.” These do not impact the LSU Health Shreveport MOT admission decisions but the OTCAS system requires them. Feel free to upload blank documents.
- Once you have listed all colleges you have attended in the OTCAS system, you should print the Transcript Request Form (located within the OTCAS system) and provide it to the Registrar’s office at each institution so that the Registrar can send an official copy of your transcript to OTCAS. Do this in July so that the official transcript will arrive at OTCAS in time for the system to verify your grades.
- Ask the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send your GRE scores to OTCAS. LSU Health Shreveport MOT Program Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) Designated Institution (DI) Code from ETS is 7408. All applicants must request that ETS send their GRE scores directly to OTCAS using the DI code for LSU Health Shreveport MOT Program, since each program has its own DI Code. ETS will transmit official GRE scores electronically to OTCAS. Please do NOT send GRE scores to the MOT Program.
- Upload a resume addressing the following as applicable: work history, volunteer work, extracurricular activities, and relevant life experiences.
- Your Personal Statement (essay) should address why you selected OT as a career and how an Occupational Therapy degree relates to your immediate and long-term professional goals. Describe how your personal, educational, and professional background will help you achieve your goals. The personal statement (essay) is an important part of your application for admission and provides you with an opportunity for you to clearly and effectively express your ideas.
- Print and follow directions on the Document of Experience form and/or Assignment and Reflection Documentation Packet.
September 15, 2020
Deadline to submit your final application. "Submit" means that you have completed the “submit and pay” process on OTCAS. Depending on what documents OTCAS has already received, submitting will move your application from an “In-Progress” status to a “Received > Awaiting Materials” status or a “Materials Received (Complete) > Verifying” status. In order for your application to meet the October 31st verification deadline, you should have all your materials in by September 15 (and have a “Materials Received (Complete)>Verifying” status). The verification process may take up to six weeks. While we will still consider applications which are not complete after September 15, we will not consider applications submitted after September 15.
October 31, 2020
- Deadline for "verified" OTCAS application, including verification of your GRE scores. If your application is not verified by OTCAS by this date, your application will not go forward.
- Deadline for submission of Document of Experience and/or Assignment and Reflection Documentation Packet to:
OR via email at email@example.com
Interviews are scheduled in December. Students who have been selected for interviews will be notified by email through OTCAS. It is the applicants’ responsibility to monitor their OTCAS email account and respond to all emails. Students who have not been selected for interviews will be notified through OTCAS in November.
Beginning with 2020-2021 application cycle, the Occupational Therapy program will be utilizing CASPer® as part of our decision making process for admissions. This is a computer-based assessment that will help us to assess non-academic attributes. For further information, please visit the CASPer® website at www.takecapser.com. If you are offered an interview, then we will send you further information about signing up to take the exam. If you have already taken the exam this admissions cycle for another institution, you will not have to take it again.
December 31, 2020
Unofficial Fall 2020 transcripts are due in the Program in Occupational Therapy office for students who were enrolled during the Fall semester. Unofficial transcripts should be sent to Angie Collins at the above address or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 30, 2021
Applicants are notified of the admissions committee’s decisions. Applicants are notified by OTCAS email and official university letter. Acceptances are conditional until applicant meets all admission requirements.
March 1, 2021
- Deadline to accept offer of position in class of 2023 (incoming 2021) with written confirmation and deposit.
- Applicants on the waitlist are notified of openings.
- Applicants who have accepted offer will be given instructions for completing further requirements for admission
March 30, 2021
Admissions cycle ends. Remaining applicants on waitlist are notified of status.
- Complete OTCAS submission online
- Send Document of Experience forms and/or Assignment and Reflection Documentation Packet to Angie Collins
- Send official Fall transcripts to Angie Collins
Robin Steed, PhD, LOTR
Program Director and Associate Professor
Angie Collins, Administrative Assistant
Determining Residency Status, click HERE