LSU Health Shreveport leadership, faculty, staff, students and community supporters recently honored the continued growth of research initiatives and funding at the second annual Research Celebration event held on Tuesday, Feb. 25. Significant biomedical research achievements at LSUHS from the past year were highlighted throughout the evening, and faculty members who have excelled in various areas of research were honored with Office of Research Excellence Awards. “We are doing great things and we are just getting started,” said Dr. Chris Kevil, Vice Chancellor for Research, who also highlighted things to look forward to in the future and exciting collaborative research projects currently in the works.
Office of Research Excellence Award Winners:
- Dr. Connie Arnold and Dr. Terry Davis received the Excellence in Extramural Funding award.
- Dr. Paari Dominic received the Excellence in Translational Research award.
- Dr. Steve Alexander and Dr. Chris Kevil received the Excellence in Innovation award.
- Dr. Mani Panchatcharam received the Scientific Research Impact in Basic Science award and Dr. John Vanchiere received the Scientific Research Impact in Clinical Science award.
- Mr. Ross Barrett received the Community Champion award for his continued support of LSU Health Shreveport and its research endeavors.
Research at LSU Health Shreveport by the Numbers:
- $15,916,322: Research dollars earned in FY19-20 by LSU Health Shreveport researchers
- 34: Number of U.S. patents issued
- 138: Number of International patents issued
- Ranked 2nd in the LSU System for patent income
Home to six research centers (* denotes Center of Excellence)
- Center of Excellence for Arthritis and Rheumatology (CEAR)*
- Feist-Weiller Cancer Center (FWCC)*
- Center for Cardiovascular Diseases and Sciences (CCDS)*
- Center for Brain Health (CBH)
- Center for Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (CTERM), a joint research center with Louisiana Tech University
- Louisiana Addiction Research Center (LARC)